Monday, September 29, 2008

A "Butterfly" is born!!!

Our Friend "Lady Butterfly"



I'm in awe... and even though this is something I did as a child... watching it through Mac and Madi's eyes... was amazing.

Lady Butterfly was born today... while we were gone.

At one point I was focusing my camera and wiping tears from my eyes at the same time.

I worried like any "good" mother would do all day today... I just knew she would hatch before we got home. And I wanted to watch it sooo bad (I'm secretly worse than my children).


But... maybe that is the way it was meant to be. Maybe it's supposed to remain part of the great mystery of nature. (though, we will try again next year... and I'm crossing my fingers with the Luna Moth)


I took the kids into the field to release the butterfly... but it seems she had an attachment issue. It just wouldn't let go... of any of us. We all traded her back and forth and finally I resorted to big arm gestures to get her to leave my finger. She flew for a bit... and then landed. I was worried that maybe she couldn't fly, but after a few shakes she flew off into the sunset. No, really... it was like out of a storybook. Right when she took off the sun broke through the clouds and we watched her fly until we couldn't see her anymore. Mac said a pray for her (which ended in his ever popular "O'Man" instead of Amen.)



Some of the pictures are blurry... I'm sure because of crying episode. (I'm such a sap!)


Here are the 'better' of the pictures... with the one Madi took of me NOT included. OMG, I need to *check* myself. I'm not sure if it's work (you know the whole 20 hours...), the country air, or my children... but I'm looking rugged. Scary. Just down right... NAS'TAY!


Okay... pictures! xoxo Thanks for following along with us!













No comments: