Thursday, September 4, 2008

"Spreading their Wings...."

"To make a wish come true,whisper it to a Butterfly.Upon these wings it will be taken to heaven and granted, for they are the messengers of the Great Spirit."
~Native American Legend


Everyone is like a butterfly, they start out ugly and awkward and then morph into beautiful graceful butterflies that everyone loves.
~Drew Barrymore


I guess it's only appropriate that after a week of watching my babies turn into these big brave kids... I post about our newest experiment.


But first... a report on Mac's first day. In his words... he LOVED it. We went to my parent's after I picked him up so that he could get his 4'wheeler ride that my dad had promised him. We questioned Mac about what he learned on his first day. He explained that they learned the "rules" of school.... and they are as follows.


1.) no hitting
2.) no kicking
3.) no scratching
and
4.) DON'T BREAK THE RULES


I'm guessing that they have had some issues with rule "break'age" in the past! Other than that... he said he said Hi to a boy at the play-doh table but he didn't talk or say hi back. He was very upset that he had taken the first step into making a friend and was totally ignored. Poor kid... he said he played tractors with the other boys and that was "a'yotta" fun.


Madi's biggest complaint is that she and her locker mate cannot shut their locker when both of their bags have gym clothing in it. She seems to really be enjoying the Middle School and the new friends she is making. Their lunch is at 10:45 which I think is insane... she literally could eat the entire kitchen by the time she gets home. I've convinced her to sneak snacks in her bag... I'm not a fan of "sneaking"... but I think a 10:45 lunch time... requires the sneaking of snacks.


Now... our newest experiment. Butterflies.


Yesterday after preschool, Mac and I went into one of my dad's CREP fields to find Milkweed plants. Monarch Butterflies lay their eggs on the underside of the Milkweed leaves. They are teeny tiny little pin drop size eggs. I believe we successfully found a few. They are currently in a gallon size glass jar with a piece of screen over the top.


From what I read... when the caterpillars hatch they are so small you can barely see them.... and then they grow into Milkweed leaf eating monsters.... and then they'll climb to the screen to begin the chrysalis stage. Then after about 2 weeks... the butterfly hatches!


I didn't really think of the significance of this project and how it relates to everything I'm experiencing with the children right now... until I sat down to type this... I guess as excited as I am about the Butterfly Project... I should be just as excited to watch my children grow to be the children who no longer need me to walk them to the bus... to the children who no longer cry when I leave them with a perfect stranger (aka preschool teacher) BUT!! If either of them crawl up to the ceiling and start making cocoon... I'm putting their cribs back up and insisting that they stay my babies forever.


Spread your wings today... or embrace the small changes in your children... if I have to... then so do YOU!



If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain.
~ Maya Angelou


Change in all things is sweet.
~Aristotle (384-322 BC) - Greek philosopher







1 comment:

Mistaken*for*Stupid said...

Dom says this crazy little rhyme about "zipping" the lips at school. It's kind of funny and slightly disturbing all at the same time. LFMAO.

I'm thinking about clipping their wings......... :( Especially the oldest. It'll be punishment for breaking his Mom's heart and getting a girlfriend the second damn week of school. Grrr.