Wednesday, March 19, 2008

** Just sit right back & you’ll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip **

"And that's the wonderful thing about family travel: it provides you with experiences that will remain locked forever in the scar tissue of your mind."
~Dave Barry


"In America there are two classes of travel - first class, and with children."
~Robert Benchley



I don't know why I had the bright idea of cleaning out the car today... just to load the kids in for a trip to my parent's for the Holiday.... a three hour tour... The kids will just mess it up. Not to mention Milo, the dog. Little dog nose prints cover my back window.

We'll be leaving tonight or tomorrow and staying until Monday. (I will be back to blogging upon my return home)

I always over pack. I mean... we're staying at my parent's house. There is a washer. There is no need for 18 outfits per house member. I will pack lighter this time... I will pack lighter this time...
The good news is... my mom will dye eggs with the kids. My least favorite Easter Activity. My favorite being eating. (of course... again see survey blog and question #1)

Here are some things that I can tell you WILL happen on our 3 hour tour.


* The kids will argue before we are out of the driveway.

* Mac will need a bathroom break right before we go by the Jamestown, NY exit... because he knows that there is a McDonald's there.

* I will tell Mac... "oh darn McDonald's is closed" (while crossing my fingers, of course, because it makes my little fib okay)

* Someone will drop their Nintendo DS pen... which will cause another argument.

* My coffee cup will be empty and I'll want more...

* Mac will ask to stop at EVERY rest stop... He is an avid collector of travel brochures and maps.

* Madi will fall asleep and Mac will steal her DS games.

* Milo will take a 3 hour nap (I will secretly be jealous of him)

* By Salamanca, NY I will be on "eagle watch" I've been fortunate to spot Bald Eagles between Salamanca and Bath, NY at least 4 times since this Fall.

* As we draw nearer to my parent's town... Mac will start the "how many more minutes until we get to Mom Mom's and Grand Dad's" to which I will nicely estimate a number.

* Madi by this time is more than just annoyed with Mac and will make "ugh" sounds

* "how many more minutes until we get to Mom Mom's and Grand dad's"

* "soon Mac"

* "how many more minutes now?"

* "not many, Mac"

* "now how many?"

* "I DON'T KNOW MAC"

* we will arrive safely and the first thing my dad will ask is "Did you take Route 6?"

* To which I will giggle and say "No, dad"

(He truly believes Rt. 6 is the best way to go... and it just may be for a retired couple who do not mind the extra 2 hours it adds to a trip... who aren't traveling with kids and a dog and just want to get there as quick as possible. Let's think about it... 3 hours on the road with kids vs 5 hours... YOU PICK)

Then I'm home... where everything is OKAY!

My plans for Easter are baking with my Mom, going into the woods with my dad, and a whole lotta nothing.

May Easter bring you many blessings of love and family... also yummy chocolate bunnies and jelly beans!

If you are traveling over the Holiday... may you have peaceful travel... and may the volume on your radio work. If all else fails... Play the "who can stay quiet the longest game"!


Peace, love, and Cadbury Eggs.



"All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!"
~ Lucy Van Pelt in Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I hope you have a safe trip and a great visit with family! What is the Easter bunny bringing this year?