Friday, March 14, 2008

** Quotes and Written Wisdom **



I love quotes. I love quotes almost as much as I love lyrics. (lyrics... coming soon to a blog near you) Maybe it's an equal love.




My love and obsession of quotes comes from my Grandmother "Neena". One of my favorite gifts of all times is a calendar. Just an ordinary calendar that she kept by her chair and all year wrote quotes in it... and then she passed it on to me. It's in my hope chest right now... I'm afraid of it getting lost, or mistaken for just a calendar.



I read quotes like they are A'ha moments... totally wishing that I had thought of them myself. But the reality of it is, I'm not a quote maker'uper. I simply find them... write them down on scraps of paper, in my journals, cut them out of magazines, write them in the margins of books, etc... and hope someday that I'll be able to pass them on. I'm sure that when I'm old and passed away that my family and friends will find little pieces of paper with quotes hidden everywhere.




Recently, one of my close friends bought me the book "This is Not the Life I Ordered". (how fitting :-} ) Now, even if you don't need this self help book... (tho. I do recommend it) and you love quotes... THIS is the book for you! Seriously... it's one goody after another. I started reading this book... fully intending to read it and gain some perspective on my life... but I find myself flipping through the pages reading the quotes and writing them in my journal. After Chapter 2... I know nothing of the book but quotes.



Maybe I need a Myspace AND Quote intervention? Call A&E.... I bet they'd have a field day with me.



So, I'm choosing this wonderful Friday to share a few fav's. Just a few tho... because I might be hard up for a blog topic someday and need to use a quote or two to start a stimulating blog entry.



"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims."

- Harriet Beecher Stowe.



(Think about it... we don't have to hurt people to be the best possible person we want to be. I'm sure along the way I've "stood" on someone to make myself "taller" and I wish I could take those moments back. So for now... I'm going to accept my height and hang out on this level. And... if I've ever stood on you, and you're reading this. I'm sorry for using you as a step stool to gain my own glory. If I did... you should have let me fall right on my laughing butt *see blog from yesterday* darn butt.)



"Let the world know you as you are, not as you THINK you should be, because sooner or later if you are posing, you will forget the pose, and then... where are you?"

- Fanny Brice



(advice every person should take to heart. We've all posed. I've posed. You've posed. Hopefully, the only posing I will be doing now is striking a pose taught to me by Tyra and America's Next Top Model. Pop. Pose. Pop. Pose. Hair flip. Pose.)



"It's not who you are that holds you back; it's who you think you're not."

- Barbara Walters



(My hero... my imaginary mentor... Barbara... AMEN SISTAH!)



"When life is not what you ordered, BEGIN AGAIN."



Could it be that easy... to begin again. Or do you just pick up from where you are and "make it better"... I'm currently in that limbo.... but the fog is clearing. *fanning the air* Out, damn fog, out.



Peace, love, and Barbara Walters.

No comments: